Registered Charity No.1087470

President: Mr. Ronald W. G. Smith Chairman: Teresa Travell

The Town of Potters Bar


Potters Bar is a pleasant place in which to live. It is fresh and clean, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Little Heath adjoins the town to the north and South Mimms and Ridge are self contained villages to the west. The area is well served by road and rail.

The Green Man Public House, circa 1914The Green Man Public House, circa 1914
Originally a hamlet on the old Great North Road, Potters Bar began to grow with the coming of the London to Peterborough railway in 1850 and the erection of a station a mile to the south-west. However, it retained its village atmosphere until the 1930s when residential development around the station brought a change in its focus and a dramatic rise in the number of inhabitants, and some light industry. Consequently the present town, on high ground within the Green Belt, is a mixture of old and new, and of residential and commercial areas.

St Mary's Church St Mary the Virgin & All Saints Church
The Potters Bar Society was formed in 1961 by a small group of residents to maintain and improve the amenities and character of the town. It is non-political, with membership open to anyone who is interested in the town and surrounding countryside.

The Society contains a number of Groups, whose activities are overseen by the Executive Committee, the members of which are all volunteers elected at the Annual General Meeting in May of each year.

Old Ladbrooke School Old Ladbrooke School
The Society is active in making its views known to local and national official departments on such issues as developments proposed in the Hertsmere District Plan and the Hertfordshire County Structure Plan, the effects of roads and traffic, parking schemes, rural footpaths, and the protection of the Green Belt.
But the Society also acts to make the town more attractive and over the years has planted many trees, shrubs and bulbs, and provided three seats in Darkes Lane. Indeed most of the daffodils and crocuses on open spaces in Potters Bar were planted by the Society.

The Society has grown steadily - however, the more members it has, the more its voice is heard. Help us to maintain high standards for the town and countryside by giving your support, active or otherwise.

The sketches of features of Potters Bar appear by kind permission of the artist, Bernard Norman.